Our Board of Trustees
Prof Sammy Sam-Wobo
Prof. Sammy Olufemi Hanacho Sam-Wobo,a Public Health Parasitologist and Epidemiologistis the National President of Parasitology and Public Health Society of Nigeria (PPSN). He works with the Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta (FUNAAB) in the Department of Pure and Applied Zoology where he serves on several university committees amongst which were Chair, FUNAAB Sports Committee from 2010-2014, 2017-2020; member of Senate, and Head, Department of Pure and Applied Zoology from 2017-2020.
He was the 6th Editor-in-Chief of Nigerian Journal of Parasitology (NJP) from 2014-2021; and had over seen the World Health Organization/African Programme for Onchocerciasis Control (WHO/APOC) Cross Country study on the elimination of onchocerciasis in South Western Nigeria as Principal Investigator/Team Leader from 2007-2012.
Prof. Sam-Wobo who holds a PhD in Parasitology had attended some professional trainings: Research Methodology and Manuscript Writing Workshop organized by Association of Editors of Scholarly Publications in Nigeria (AESPN) at Abuja, Nigeria; World Health Organization (WHO) Training of Trainers’ for Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs) in the African Region at Lusaka, Zambia; International course on Strengthening Contemporary School Health, Nutrition and HIV Prevention Programmes at Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research Accra, Ghana; WHO/APOC/SIZ Entomology Techniques Training for Multi-country Blackfly Migration research at Makeni-Sierra Leone; Training Workshop on Writing Grant Winning Research proposals; Workshop on Teaching and Academic administration on the Nigerian University Systems, and United Nations Department of Safety and Security BSAFE course amongst others.
A beneficiary of research grants namely:
- I. WHO/APOC Ouagadougou-Blackfly Migration Study involving Entomology and Epidemiological studies covering Ogun and Oyo States (2007–2012),
- II. Acino Pharma Ltd Dornacher strasse 114/ch-4147 Aesch Switzerland-donation of Rectal Artesunate (Plasmotrimrecto cap 50/200 mg drugs for Rural Community Based Introduction As Pre- Referral and for Therapeutic Treatment Of Childhood Malaria In Ogun State, South-Western Nigeria (2013 –2014),
- III. WHO/Federal Ministry of Health, Abuja, Nigeria supply of LFICT Test Kits for Epidemiological Studies on Lymphatic Filariasisin Ose Local Government Area of Ondo State, South-Western Nigeria (2014),
- IV. PATH, Washington USA supply of SDBIO LINE Onchocercasis IgG4 Test Kits (Ov16) for surveillance studies of onchocerciasis status in meso-endemic LGAs of Ogun State treated with Ivermectin (2015),
- V. WHO Safety and Efficacy studies on drug treatment of Praziquantile and Albendazole on School Children in Four Local Government Areas, Ogun State (2016),
- VI. Research award by PATH, Washington USA on Biplex Studies on Ov16/Wb123 studies of the use of biplex as diagnostic tool for Onchocerca volvulus and Wuchereriabancrofti in Ogun State ( 2016),
- VII. Research award by Federal Ministry of Health, Abuja, Nigeria supply of LF Test Kits for Evaluation Studies on Lymphatic Filariasis in Some Local Government Area of Niger State, Nigeria (2019),
- VIII. Research award by WHO, Geneva – as Coordinating Scientist, Communal Sustainability for administration of medicines for Schistosmiasis and Soil transmitted helminthiasis control in Anambra State, Nigeria (March 2019 – Feb 2020)
Prof. Sam-Wobo had over the last two decades led several research projects that studied helminthiasis, trypanosomosis, schistosomiasis, malaria, lymphaticfilariasis, onchocerciasis on the public health effects of parasites on the environment. He had supervised successfully 14 PhDs and 16 MSc research studies in areas of drug delivery, diagnostics, and elimination status of human parasites.
He is a World Health Organization Consultant and Temporary Advisor to Nigeria, Republic of Liberia, Gambia, Lesotho, Sierra Leone, South Sudan on Neglected Tropical Diseases. He also serves as External Examiner to some Universities on their Postgraduate programmes, and Assessor for Academic Staff Professorial Promotion in Universities within and outside Nigeria. He is a member, Technical Working Group of LF Elimination in Nigeria, Chair, Ogun State Advisory Committee on NTDs, amongst other engagements.
Prof. Sam-Wobo is widely travelled attending lots of international and local meetings. He is a Fellow of Zoological Society of Nigeria (FZSN) and Fellow Parasitology and Public Health Society of Nigeria (FPPSN). He has published over 119 research papers, 14 technical reports, and serves as reviewer to some journals. He has received over Fifty-four (54) prizes, honours, scholarships, national and international recognition for his research outputs. He is a member of the Parasitology and Public Health Society of Nigeria, Zoological Society of Nigeria, World Association of Medical Editors (WAME), Science Association of Nigeria (SAN), Association of Editors of Scholarly Publications in Nigeria (AESPN), International Society for Infectious Diseases (ISID) and Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.
Requirements for PPSN Membership
- Pay N2000 for membership application fee
- Pay N3000 for membership annual dues for year 2022
All payments to PPSN GTB account 0027247210. Send evidence of payment.
After that, send the details below to 08033199315 via WhatsApp
- Full names
- Contact address
- Phone number
- Area of interest
- Email address
- Year of membership